Pinney Associates is an American health consultancy, founded in 1994 by John Pinney.
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Reynolds American Funding Its Harm Reduction Work
The agreement between Pinney Associates and the tobacco company reportedly covers the development of reduced risk products (notably nicotine gum and e-cigarettes) and working on “policies that aim to reduce the harmful effects of tobacco”.
At the time of the agreement, John Pinney, the founder of Pinney Associates said:
“Our overriding objective is to minimize the death and disease caused by conventional cigarette smoking as quickly as possible and we believe we have a powerful opportunity to advance this objective with these new relationships”
Speaker at Tobacco Industry Event
Since 2014, Pinney Associates staff have been regular speakers at the Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, an annual tobacco industry event previously known as the Global Tobacco Networking Forum. See also:
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2016
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum 2015
- Global Tobacco Networking Forum 2014
Financial Interest in Nicotine Gum Marketed by Tobacco Company
Jack Henningfield, Pinney Associates’ Vice President Research, and leading expert on tobacco control and addiction, has disclosed that he shares a patent for a nicotine gum that is under license to Niconovum, a wholly-owned subsidiary of RAI.
- Pinney Associates, Our people: John Pinney, Founder and Chief Executive, undated, accessed November 2017
- Pinney Associates, Tobacco harm reduction, 2017, accessed November 2017
- PR Newswire, PinneyAssociates and Subsidiary Enter into Product Development and Consulting Agreements with Subsidiaries of Reynolds American Inc., 19 February 2015, accessed November 2017
- M. Fekberbaum, Reynolds American delving deeper into nicotine gum business, The Washington Times, 19 February 2015, accessed November 2017
- Global Tobacco and Networking Forum, Look who’s talking, 2014, accessed December 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, Look who’s talking, 2015, accessed December 2017
- Global Tobacco and Nicotine Forum, Look who’s talking, 2016, accessed November 2017
- Global Tobacco & Nicotine Forum, Look who’s talking, 2017, accessed October 2017
- J. Henningfield, Global Nicotine Reduction Strategy. Personal Insights on the View From FDA and the WHO TobReg Study Group, Presented at CORESTA Congress, Berlin, 11 October 2016, accessed November 2017