Japan Tobacco International
The company was formed in 1999 when the Japan Tobacco Group bought the US multinational RJ Reynolds. In 2007, JTI bought another major tobacco manufacturer, Gallaher. JTI’s headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland.
The company’s brands include Winston, Mild Seven, Camel, Benson & Hedges and Silk Cut, Hamlet cigars, Old Holborn and Amber Leaf rolling tobacco.
JTI says: "We recognize the risks of smoking and try to reduce them. We are committed to developing reduced-risk products and fostering understanding between smokers and non-smokers, while respecting norms, legislation and cultures around the world. We are open to, and seek dialogue with governmental authorities around the world to address questions about the manufacture, sale and use of our products."
Refuses to Disclose if Funding UK Think Tanks
In May 2012, JTI was asked if it was funding any of the think tanks active in the smoking and health debate in the UK. The company replied: "Please note that we do not wish to participate in your research." 
Lobbying UK MPs
Until January 2011, the Brussels office of JTI was headed by Thierry Lebeaux, who used to work for the PR company Citigate Dewe Rogerson. His successor is Paolo Bochicchio. Bochicchio used to be the EU Government Affairs Director for the European Plastic Converters (EuPC).
In its lobbying register declaration, JTI declares it lobbies European institutions through the following organisations:
- Confederation of European Community Cigarette Manufacturers (CECCM)
- European Cigar Manufacturers Association (ECMA)
- British Chamber of Commerce in Belgium (BCCB)
- American European Community Association (AECA).
For 2010, JTI declared that it spent €650,000 - €700,000 on lobbying.
Roger Scruton controversy
Targeting Women and Girls
Legal action against Australian Government
The company’s executive committee has 17 members:
- Pierre de Labouchere, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Thomas McCoy, Chief Operating Officer
- Martin Braddock, Regional President, CIS
- Stefan Fitz, Regional President, Asia Pacific
- Paul Neumann, Senior Vice President, Global Leaf
- Howard Parks, Senior Vice President, Consumer and Trade Marketing
- Fadoul Pekhazis, Regional President, Middle East / Near East / Africa / Turkey and WWDF
- Eddy Pirard, Regional President Western Europe
- Michel Poirier, Regional President, Americas
- Bill Schulz, Senior Vice President, Global Supply Chain
- Takehisa Shibayama, Senior Vice President, Research and Development
- Vassilis Vovos, Regional President, Central Europe
- Mutsuo Iwai, Executive Vice President and Deputy CEO
- Paul Bourassa, Senior Vice President, Legal, Regulatory Affairs and Compliance
- Roland Kostantos, Senior Vice President, Finance, Information Technology and Chief Financial Officer
- Jörg Schappei, Senior Vice President, Human Resources
- Frits Vranken, Senior Vice President, Business Development and Corporate Communications
They report to the board of Japan Tobacco Group.
In addition to the EU lobbying organisations detailed above, JTI is a member of:
- Tobacco Industry Platform
- Associate Parliamentary Corporate Responsibility Group
- European Smokeless Tobacco Council
- American European Community Association
- British Chamber of Commerce in Belgium
- Institute of Business Ethics
- Tobacco Manufacturers' Association (through its subsidiary Gallaher)
JTI's website: http://www.jti.com
- JTI, JTI history, Website, undated, accessed 17 December 2011
- JTI, Investor information, JTI website, undated, accessed 20 February 2012
- JTI, JTI brands, JTI website, undated, accessed 17 December 2011
- JTI, Our Principles, JTI website, undated, accessed 20 February 2012
- Guy Côté, Email to Tobacco Control Research Group, 12 May 2012
- Public Affairs News, 'European News in Brief', 7 April 2009
- European Transparency Register Transparency Register, Accessed July, 2011
- Linkedin, Bochicchio Profile, Accessed July, 2011
- Not to be confused with the European Carton Makers Association going by the same acronym and also lobbying in Brussels for the tobacco industry.
- European Commission Transparency Register, Transparency Register, Accessed July, 2011
- As of 20 February 2012 - see JTI, Our management, JTI website, undated, accessed 20 February 2012