Prior to working for FTI Consulting, Hamilton was Director of Big Brother Watch where he resigned in 2011 to join Imperial Tobacco's PR company, Bell Pottinger. At Bell Pottinger, he joined another ex-Big Brother Watch Director, Alex Deane.
In 2015 Hamilton left Bell Pottinger to take up a post with FTI Consulting.
Against Display Bans and Further Controls on Tobacco
In March 2011, Hamilton was one of 11 signatories of a Letter to the Editor to the Daily Telegraph attacking the Government's position on tobacco control and arguing against further restrictions.
In June 2011, Hamilton was a speaker at the "Voices of Freedom" event hosted by The Free Society entitled Civil liberties: Up in smoke - What are smokers’ rights in a free society? The event was chaired by Mark Littlewood from the Institute of Economic Affairs. Other speakers included Peter Hitchens from the Mail on Sunday, Simon Davies the director of Privacy International, pro-tobacco blogger Chris Snowdon and Ronald Harwood. The event was repeated on the fringe of the Conservative Party conference in October 2011.
Countering a Campaign of UK Health Advocates
When still at Big Brother Watch, Hamilton worked with Imperial's PR company Bell Pottinger to try to get data on its behalf.
- More details on this story can be read on our FOI: SmokeFree South West page.
- FTI Consulting
- Bell Pottinger
- Lobby Groups
- PR Companies
- To understand the tobacco industry’s tactic of hiding behind third parties, including PR and law firms, click on Third Party Techniques
- FTI Consulting, Our people: Daniel Hamilton, undated, accessed May 2017
- BigBrotherWatch, Website, September 2011, accessed September 2011
- The Free Society, Voices-of-Freedom, http://www.thefreesociety.org, undated, accessed April 2012
- S. Clark, Warning: expletives deleted Taking Liberties Blog, 6 October 2011, accessed May 2017