Consumer Choice Center
The Consumer Choice Center (CCC) is a not-for-profit lobby organisation which was set up in February 2017, with offices in the United States, Canada and the European Union (EU).
The CCC says that it lobbies against government regulations in over 100 countries, covering “food and agriculture policies, fat/sugar tax, soda tax, food labelling, health care and harm reduction, trade initiatives (TTIP /TTP), transportation and aviation regulations”.
The CCC’s parent organisation is Students For Liberty (SFL), an American libertarian student organisation linked to right-wing billionaires Charles and David Koch.
For the financial year 2016/17, the CCC declared a total income of €3,761,438 from unspecified donations. The organisation has received financial support from consumer goods, energy, manufacturing, digital, healthcare, cryptocurrency and fin-tech industries.
In January 2018, CCC’s Managing Director was Frederik Roeder.
Other persons that work for, or have previously worked for the CCC:
Many CCC staff have previously held, or currently hold, roles within SFL.
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
Funding From the Tobacco Industry
Other Links With the Tobacco Industry
Upon request, JTI declined to disclose what this membership entails and how much financial support is linked to it.
CCC has links to the British free-market think tank Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), which was involved in launching the CCC in April 2017.
- Imperial Tobacco
- Japan Tobacco International
- Institute of Economic Affairs
- Forest EU
- Jeff Stier
- Christopher Snowdon
- Consumer Choice Center, FAQ, 2018, accessed April 2018
- Consumer Choice Center, About us, undated, accessed May 2017
- Corporate Europe Observatory, Big Tobacco and right-wing US billionaires funding anti-regulation hardliners in the EU, 20 July 2017, accessed February 2018
- Students For Liberty, 2017 Annual Report, available from www.studentsforliberty.org, 2017 (undated), accessed March 2018
- H. Cooper, Q. Ariès, POLITICO Brussels Influence: Consumers for liberty — EU breaches justice rules, POLITICO, 24 March 2017, accessed February 2018
- Consumer Choice Center, Transparency Register Entry, 10 January 2018, accessed February 2018
- Consumer Choice Center, Frequently Asked Questions, undated, accessed June 2018
- F. Roeder, Frederik Cyrus Roeder, LinkedIn profile, accessed January 2018
- A. Cleave, LinkedIn Profile, undated, accessed January 2018
- Consumer Choice Center Adam Cleave, accessed February 2018
- Consumer Choice Center Jeff Stier, undated, accessed February 2018
- Tobacco Reporter, Stier joins consumer body, 9 January 2018, accessed January 2018
- Consumer Choice Center Staff, undated, accessed March 2018
- Y. Ossowski, Email to Corporate Europe Observatory, Consumer Choice Center, 22 June 2017, accessed February 2018
- EU Transparency Register, Japan Tobacco International Entry, 16 November 2017, accessed February 2018
- Japan Tobacco International, Email reply to Tobacco Control Research Group, Subject: Re: REF GB-18-01469/NCC/TRM, 26 February 2018 08:48
- F. Roeder Weighing the tradeoffs of joy versus long term health, Euractiv, 19 June 2017, accessed February 2018
- Euractiv, Email reply to Tobacco Control Research Group, Subject: Re: General inquiry - Message From the Team Page, 27 April 2018, 12:01
- Consumer Choice Center, Launch of the Consumer Choice Center 16 April 2017, YouTube video footage, published on 2 May 2017, accessed March 2018
- M. Hope, Lobby Group Tied to Koch Brothers, Brexit Climate Deniers Pushes 'Strong Pro-Corporate Agenda', Ecowatch, 20 July 2017, accessed January 2018
- S. Clark, Forest EU launch party, Taking Liberties blog, 2 June 2017, accessed February 2018