Christofer Fjellner is a pro-snus Swedish Member of European Parliament (since 2004).
Opposition to EU Snus Ban
In 2012 The Independent newspaper reported that Fjelnner was selling snus from his European Parliament offices, despite an EU-wide ban (with the exception of Sweden).
"I kept some in my office for private use and some friends used to knock and ask if I had some to sell them," Fjellner told The Independent. "After a while I thought it would be a fun prank to start selling it. So I bought a small refrigerator, and I started to bring more boxes back with me. Nowadays I have 10 or 15 regular customers, most of them Swedish. There is a bit of disobedience to it – consciously to break the law but be willing to take the consequences for it," he admits.
In 2010, Fjellner organised an online petition to mobilise public opposition to the EU snus sales ban, calling the ban "discriminatory" (see Picture 1).
Relationship with the Tobacco Industry
- Snus: EU Ban on Snus Sales and Illegal Sales of Snus via the Internet
- Also see: Smokeless Tobacco, Snus, and Harm Reduction
Official website: http://www.fjellner.eu/ (in Swedish)
European Parliament MEP biography: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/28126/CHRISTOFER_FJELLNER.html (in English)
- How online sales and promotion of snus contravenes current European Union legislation, S. Peeters, A.B. Gilmore, 2013, Tobacco Control, 22:266-273 doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050209
- The revision of the 2014 European tobacco products directive: an analysis of the tobacco industry’s attempts to ‘break the health silo’, S. Peeters, H. Costa, D. Stuckler, M. McKee, A.B. Gilmore, 2016, Tobacco Control; 25:108-117 doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051919
- R. Hastings, What's all the snus about? Swedish MEP dealing snuff in Brussels, The Independent, 22 October 2012
- C. Fjellner, Petition: Europeans for snus, www.eusnus.se, accessed October 2010
- C. Fjellner, Kalender, www.fjellner.eu, accessed February 2011