Photo credit: Oleg Golovnev (via Shutterstock)
TobaccoTactics is a unique academic resource that explores how the tobacco industry influences policy and public health in the UK, the EU, and internationally.
The site details the tactics and techniques the tobacco industry and its allies employ to stall tobacco control measures, such as the introduction of plain packaging in the UK or Australia. It explores topical health issues too: the growing involvement of the industry in promoting e-cigarettes for instance, or its complicity in tobacco smuggling.
TobaccoTactics also contains profiles of people, organisations and allies of the tobacco industry, charting their involvement in the smoking and health debate. This is important as the industry often uses supposedly-independent third parties to lobby politicians or to push its message in the media.
Visit the Key Topics section to view our research on current tobacco-related issues, or the What’s New section to get updated on the latest developments, or search for a specific topic in the Search Bar on the left side of the screen.
For more information on TobaccoTactics and the Tobacco Control Research Group, see our About Us page.
Follow us: @BathTR | Like us: TobaccoTactics | Contact Us
What's New on TobaccoTactics?
28 January 2015:
- New TobaccoTactics page on how the tobacco industry was able to influence the TPD revision process through certain individuals
22 January 2015:
5 January 2015:
- Updated TobaccoTactics profile of Forest with information on how the organisation promoted misleading evidence on plain packaging in Australia
3 December 2014:
- New open access journal article on tobacco companies' use of poor quality evidence to argue that plain packaging would have negative economic and illicit trade consequences
27 November 2014:
- Read the profile on Media Intelligence Partners, another PR company with links to British Conservative MPs, which is employed by Philip Morris International
21 November 2014:
- CEO of Civil Service received £100K salary from alcohol company SABMiller
2 November 2014:
20 October 2014:
14 October 2014:
TobaccoTactics is a project of the Tobacco Control Research Group at the Department for Health at the University of Bath and is overseen by two managing editors, Eveline Lubbers and Andrew Rowell. TobaccoTactics has a policy of Strict Referencing.
Disclaimer. Some of the research for TobaccoTactics was funded by Cancer Research UK Limited and Smokefree South West, and more recently with an award from the ESRC Knowledge Exchange Opportinities scheme. These funders have had no input into the research reported on this website or its conclusions. They are not responsible for the content or the publication, nor do they necessarily endorse it. Published by the University of Bath. Read the General Disclaimer.